HONOLULU – The Public Relations Society of America Hawaii Chapter (PRSA Hawaii) recognized the state’s top public relations campaigns and tactics of 2012 last night at the 30th annual Koa Anvil Awards dinner, held at the Hawaii Prince Hotel Waikiki and Golf Club.
Established in 1983, the Koa Anvil Awards captures and celebrates the four rings of excellence for which the Koa Anvil competition is judged: research, planning, execution, and evaluation. The competition is conducted by PRSA Hawaii to recognize outstanding public relations programs and tactics, and to encourage improved public relations performance and techniques.
Awards were given in two main categories:
- Koa Anvil Awards – complete public relations programs incorporating sound research, planning, execution and evaluation
- Koa Hammer Awards – outstanding public relations tactics that are part of a communications campaign, including research and writing
From a total of 114 entries submitted, 63 received awards – 21 public relations professionals received Koa Anvil awards/certificates and 42 received Koa Hammer awards/certificates.
Bennet Group Strategic Communications’ Crystal Yamasaki received the highest Koa Anvil score, earning the coveted “Best of Show” award for her exceptional work on the grand opening of the Whole Foods Market Kailua store. This is the second year in a row that Bennet Group has taken home the “Best of Show” award.
Other big winners of the night included McNeil Wilson Communications/Anthology Marketing Group with 12 awards, Castle Medical Center with 11 awards and Stryker Weiner & Yokota Public Relations, Inc. with nine awards.
“For three decades, PRSA Hawaii has been showcasing our industry’s brightest stars at the Koa Anvil awards,” said PRSA Hawaii president Rebecca Pang. “It’s an honor to once again bring Hawaii’s best public relations professionals together to celebrate the top communication campaigns in the state.”
PRSA Hawaii also honored three individuals with its Gregg W. Perry Public Relations Professional of the Year Award, Hokupa‘a Award, and President’s Leadership Award.
- The Gregg W. Perry Public Relations Professional of the Year award honors an exemplary practitioner who has made a major contribution to the profession. This year’s award recipient is Howard Daniel, APR, vice president of editorial services at Communications Pacific. Daniel has more than four decades of public relations experience, and is known for his strong writing and editing skills. He served as PRSA Hawaii’s chapter president in 2002.
- The Hokupa‘a Award recognizes a relative newcomer to public relations for demonstrating exceptional leadership potential and achievement in his/her initial years in the profession. This year’s recipient is David Pettinger, senior account executive at McNeil Wilson Communications/Anthology Marketing Group. Pettinger specializes in public affairs and community relations.
- The President’s Leadership Award recognizes an individual or organization that has made significant contributions to the success of the chapter and the profession. This year’s recipient is Nathan Kam, executive vice president of McNeil Wilson Communications/Anthology Marketing Group. Kam has been involved in PRSA for more than a decade, including serving as Hawaii Chapter president in 2010. He was recently elected to PRSA’s National Travel & Tourism Board of Directors.
In addition, University of Hawaii – Manoa communications major Clarissa Kenui received the 2013 PRSA Hawai‘i/Roy Leffingwell Scholarship award of $1,000.
For a complete list of winners, click here.